Church History

First Baptist Church of Whitehall

First Baptist Church of Whitehall

In 1838 eight people organized the First Baptist Church of Whitehall at the home of W. W. Cook. It was admitted to the Washington Union Association in June, 1841.
In 1846 W. W. Cook purchased the former Episcopal Church at the corner of Division and Church Streets. In 1848 it was purchased by the Baptists. On February 13, 1874, this building was destroyed by fire.
By 1876 a large gothic edifice was constructed on the corner of Williams and McCotter Streets. The rose window, flying buttresses, and steeple on the outside, and the oak and black walnut woodwork and fine pipe organ on the inside were dedicated for service.
On January 24, 1941, fire again destroyed the church and contents. A chapel-size church was constructed on the same site. By the fall, worship began there again and has continued to the present, along with an active Sunday School and youth program. The Ladies Aid group is also very active.
The Rev. James C. Peterson officially became the Pastor on Nov. 1, 2007.
The FBC of Whitehall is an active member of the Adirondack Association of the American Baptist Churches of New York State.